Separate X Screens - possible on Intel Integrated HD Graphics?

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 09:21:46 PST 2016

On 15 January 2016 at 23:46, Ken Taylor <di604admin at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/15/2016 10:56 AM, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
>>
>> There are other ways of getting multi-monitor support other than using
>> two separate X screens. The most recent and modern way is XRandR. So
>> instead of epoxying your monitor port, or using X screens, you should
>> try to use XRandR.
>
> Thanks but I have looked at a lot of documentation for XrandR. I do not see
> that XrandR can give me two monitors with distinct desktops.  Changing
> monitor resolution and position relative to one another can be accomplished
> (in Mate or Gnome) with System; Preferences; Hardware; Monitor. Am I missing
> some functionality in XrandR?
>>
>> Separate X screens are complicated, and is likely not the experience
>> you want. Desktops like GNOME have not supported that for a long time,
>> and GTK+ has started to remove support for multi-screen X.
>
> Separate X screens gives me EXACTLY what I am after. That is why I asked the
> question.  Please see this page:
> http://jsmylinux.no-ip.org/basic-information/dual-monitors/ and have a look
> towards the bottom titled "Individual Panels".
>
> Gnome 2 on CentOS 6 works fine as does Mate on CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 15.10. I
> have not tried Gnome 3 - at least not that I can recall. It is almost as bad
> as Ubuntu Unity.

And that 's single screen with multiple outputs.

It gives you no productivity when you have two screens and the
applications on one screen cannot be moved to the other and probably
cannot even share paste buffers.

And yes, the gnome system settings use xrandr so give you exactly the
same options.

What is missing functionality in the system preferences?

Or are you missing extra panels that were not automagically created
when you plugged in another monitor?

You can create more panels by hand in the panel settings.

HTH

Michal