Separate X Screens - possible on Intel Integrated HD Graphics?

Ken Taylor di604admin at embarqmail.com
Sat Jan 16 09:52:29 PST 2016

On 01/16/2016 12:21 PM, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> On 15 January 2016 at 23:46, Ken Taylor <di604admin at embarqmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/15/2016 10:56 AM, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
>>> There are other ways of getting multi-monitor support other than using
>>> two separate X screens. The most recent and modern way is XRandR. So
>>> instead of epoxying your monitor port, or using X screens, you should
>>> try to use XRandR.
>> Thanks but I have looked at a lot of documentation for XrandR. I do not see
>> that XrandR can give me two monitors with distinct desktops.  Changing
>> monitor resolution and position relative to one another can be accomplished
>> (in Mate or Gnome) with System; Preferences; Hardware; Monitor. Am I missing
>> some functionality in XrandR?
>>> Separate X screens are complicated, and is likely not the experience
>>> you want. Desktops like GNOME have not supported that for a long time,
>>> and GTK+ has started to remove support for multi-screen X.
>> Separate X screens gives me EXACTLY what I am after. That is why I asked the
>> question.  Please see this page:
>> http://jsmylinux.no-ip.org/basic-information/dual-monitors/ and have a look
>> towards the bottom titled "Individual Panels".
>>
>> Gnome 2 on CentOS 6 works fine as does Mate on CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 15.10. I
>> have not tried Gnome 3 - at least not that I can recall. It is almost as bad
>> as Ubuntu Unity.
>>
> And that 's single screen with multiple outputs.
>
> It gives you no productivity when you have two screens and the
> applications on one screen cannot be moved to the other and probably
> cannot even share paste buffers.
>
> And yes, the gnome system settings use xrandr so give you exactly the
> same options.
>
> What is missing functionality in the system preferences?
>
> Or are you missing extra panels that were not automagically created
> when you plugged in another monitor?
>
> You can create more panels by hand in the panel settings.
>
> HTH
>
> Michal

I do not need to be able to move open applications from one screen
(monitor) to the other. I start them on the screen (monitor) where I
wish to use them. And YES I can copy/paste data from an application on
one monitor to an application on the other - I do this all the time. I
routinely copy data from an application on one monitor on the host to a
virtual machine running on the other monitor.

When I first created my separate X screens the second monitor did not
have panels. I created them and added the launchers for the applications
which I intended to run on that monitor.

System; Preferences; Hardware; Display does NOT provide a way to
configure the monitors in away to accomplish these things (Ubuntu 9.10,
10.04, 15.04, CentOS 7, CentOS 7).

I appreciate all of the input folks are providing. However, I asked the
simple question if separate X screens could be configured on Intel
integrated graphics.  The discussion seems to have degenerated into "you
don't want to do" what I wish to do and "you should try something else."

PLEASE if someone knows the answer YES or NO - tell me. If the answer is
no I will reserve the Intel graphics machines for single monitor or
headless use and use my Nvidia machines for dual hear use.

Ken