Separate X Screens - possible on Intel Integrated HD Graphics?

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 05:10:38 PST 2016

On 16 January 2016 at 23:18, Ken Taylor <di604admin at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/16/2016 01:31 PM, Boudhayan Gupta wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ken and all,
>>
>>> I appreciate all of the input folks are providing. However, I asked the
>>> simple question if separate X screens could be configured on Intel
>>> integrated graphics.  The discussion seems to have degenerated into "you
>>> don't want to do" what I wish to do and "you should try something else."

The usual pattern is that people ask about multiple screens but do not
really want them. Having multiple screens only limits what you can do
and gives you no meaningful benefits.

>> There are legitimate use cases for this. I suspect Ken wants to do
>> something like running a completely different X session on a second
>> monitor.
>>
>> What you're looking for is Zaphod mode. There *is* a configuration
>> option for this, but I have no idea whether the code paths are bug
>> free or even implemented.
>>
>> An example for using Zaphod mode with nouveau is here at
>> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MultiMonitorDesktop/. The same
>> configuration tweaked for the intel driver should work.
>>
>> -- Boudhayan
>>
> I took the example xorg.conf in the link you provided and made these
> changes:
>
> Changed Driver to "intel" from "nouveau"
> Changed the BusID to "PCI:0:2.0" as obtained from lspci
> Set the actual connectors:
>    Option      "ZaphodHeads" "DP-1"
>    Option      "ZaphodHeads" "HDMI-A-1"

You should probably check with xrandr what outputs you have. The
output names vary between different drivers.

Also you should look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log for full X server output.

HTH

Michal