Separate X Screens - possible on Intel Integrated HD Graphics?

Ken Taylor di604admin at embarqmail.com
Sat Jan 16 14:18:05 PST 2016

On 01/16/2016 01:31 PM, Boudhayan Gupta wrote:
> Hi Ken and all,
>
>> I appreciate all of the input folks are providing. However, I asked the
>> simple question if separate X screens could be configured on Intel
>> integrated graphics.  The discussion seems to have degenerated into "you
>> don't want to do" what I wish to do and "you should try something else."
> There are legitimate use cases for this. I suspect Ken wants to do
> something like running a completely different X session on a second
> monitor.
>
> What you're looking for is Zaphod mode. There *is* a configuration
> option for this, but I have no idea whether the code paths are bug
> free or even implemented.
>
> An example for using Zaphod mode with nouveau is here at
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MultiMonitorDesktop/. The same
> configuration tweaked for the intel driver should work.
>
> -- Boudhayan

I took the example xorg.conf in the link you provided and made these
changes:

Changed Driver to "intel" from "nouveau"
Changed the BusID to "PCI:0:2.0" as obtained from lspci
Set the actual connectors:
    Option      "ZaphodHeads" "DP-1"
    Option      "ZaphodHeads" "HDMI-A-1"

Unfortunately this did not bring up an X display.  Here are the errors I
observed in Xorg.0.log

[    87.163] (II) intel(0): Using Kernel Mode Setting driver: i915,
version 1.6.0 20150327
[    87.163] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.
[    87.163] (II) UnloadModule: "intel"
[    87.163] (EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config
file.
[    87.163] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[    87.163] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[    87.163] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
          at http://wiki.x.org
  for help.
[    87.163] (EE) Please also check the log file at
"/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[    87.163] (EE)
[    87.170] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

I thought that the stub in the example would have been enough to at
least light the monitor:

Section "Screen"
     Identifier  "Screen0"
     Device      "Device0"
EndSection

I guess I need to dig through my other examples and see if I can find
some more meat to put in the section.

Ken