audible and enhanced audible mime types

Hans Petter Jansson hpj at copyleft.no
Fri Jul 1 22:30:59 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-07-01 at 00:36 -0500, kendell clark wrote:

> I'm writing in to ask if anyone is still interested in my mime types for
> audible formats 1, 2, 3, 4, and enhanced audible files? I'm still
> working on them, and I've got a test audible file. What I don't have is
> magic that can uniquely identify one. I have the magic string from the
> ffmpeg source which identifies one but I'm not sure what to do with it.
> This is a pet project of mine since I'm a co developer of the sonar gnu
> linux distribution for the disabled, and some of our users read books
> from audible and I'd like linux to identify them correctly instead of
> reporting "unknown" in the gui and "data" when file is run against them.
> Is anyone still interested? If not I'll stop asking, was just curious. I
> haven't heard anything in a while.

I don't see why not. What we need is a patch against the
xdg/shared-mime-info module. You should be able to file a bug against it
in Bugzilla and attach the patch there:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=shared-mime-info

This is the file from the git repository that needs patching:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/shared-mime-info/tree/freedesktop.org.xml.in

Cc me on the bug if you like, or write me off-list if anything is
unclear.

Thanks!

--
Hans Petter