Current state of DPI settings under X

Thomas U. Grüttmüller sloyment at gmx.net
Tue Aug 29 00:21:40 UTC 2017

On 25.07.2017 20:15, Vladimir Kudrya wrote:
> I would like to know the current 'proper' way of setting DPI in X

startx -- -dpi 120

Be aware though, that many programs expect a screen with 96 dpi, so
setting the value to anything other than 96 might break their design.
Some fonts might look ugly, too.

Personally, I also don’t see a point. I have a 120 dpi screen, but I
prefer to stick with a 96 dpi setting because it looks better and I
don’t waste screen space. If I write programs, I define all sizes in
pixels to avoid all that crap in the first place.

Greetings,
Thomas