Definition of command line in the Exec key

Роман Чистоходов freeslave93 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 02:09:19 UTC 2017

The Exec key description (
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s06.html )
is somewhat misleading.
It does not state what is "command line" exactly. Should it be considered
shell command line or something that can be called via execve.
Giving that desktop-file-validate does not like unquoted backticks I would
say the latter, but all this stuff about quotation rules makes me think
about the former.
This is probably due the legacy code that makes behavior of Exec similar to
the one if this command line was to be run in shell.

Spec should clearly say about such things. I was not confident at all while
was implementing this spec by myself and honestly still doubt that I get
things right.