DBus interface for meeting creation

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Tue Mar 13 15:00:41 UTC 2018

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 at 14:37:53 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> My concern was that I didn't want to just invoke Evolution — users
> might be using something different. But of course doing it through
> xdg-open resolves that.

If you are using a platform/runtime library like GLib or Qt (presumably
GLib since you mentioned Pidgin), I'd recommend preferring APIs like
g_app_info_launch_default_for_uri_async() or QDesktopServices::openUrl
over xdg-open. They end up doing the same things as xdg-open eventually
(and in the case of Qt might in fact be implemented via xdg-open), but
xdg-open goes through a shell and some desktop environment detection to
get there.

    smcv