Consider adding license information to freedesktop.org wiki contents?

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Sun May 6 10:36:16 UTC 2018

On Sun, May 6, 2018, at 10:49 AM, Simon Lees wrote:
> The only way that I think we can realistically make the wiki situation
> better is by changing it now to say new changes are under the following
> license, then in 10 years hope that enough of the content has been
> changed that someone can delete all the remaining non licensed content
> then get someone else to fill in any gaps.

I'm hoping it might also be possible to work at the level of individual pages: find everyone who has contributed to a page and get their agreement to put a license on it. In combination with agreeing a license for new changes, of course.

>  If we were to go with the suggestion I wrote above
> there are many others who could make that change easier then myself who
> has no access.

Do you know who these people are? Part of what makes this tricky is that I don't even know who can do admin stuff on the wiki.

> Either way if something is going to change there needs to be more
> discussion yet as no one has agreed on which license we would use, which
> you need to decide before contacting previous contributors.

OK, let's try to move that forwards. I propose that we use the MIT license for any code on the wiki, and CC-BY for text and any other non-code content. These are equivalent in spirit, but MIT is written for source code.

Thomas