Expand os-release spec with LOGO

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 7 15:47:57 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 9:40 AM <hellcp at opensuse.org> wrote:
> However spec [2] doesn't cover DEs wanting to add items to it, just
> OSes, which
> will still not be great, if support would have to be extended to
> SUSE_LOGO,
> DEBIAN_LOGO, UBUNTU_LOGO etc.

I think the GNOME proposal does do what you are requesting.

I don't understand your comment about desktop environments needing
special icons. For most distros, there is only one icon: Fedora is
Fedora no matter what desktop environment you use.

I would expect a desktop environment about system dialog to show this
new os-release distro icon and fall back to a generic icon (like the
GNOME foot) if there is no os-release icon.

/etc/os-release is about system-level stuff. For instance, Ubuntu and
Kubuntu have the same /etc/os-release file. If Kubuntu wants to show a
different system logo, it can just ship its version in its default
icon theme. Or Debian-based distros can use the update-alternatives
system.

Despite the discussion on the GNOME bug, I don't think anyone has
proposed the addition to either this list or systemd yet.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha