Expand os-release spec with LOGO

hellcp at opensuse.org hellcp at opensuse.org
Sun Oct 7 16:19:08 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 9:40 AM <hellcp at opensuse.org> wrote:
>>  However spec [2] doesn't cover DEs wanting to add items to it, just
>>  OSes, which
>>  will still not be great, if support would have to be extended to
>>  SUSE_LOGO,
>>  DEBIAN_LOGO, UBUNTU_LOGO etc.
>
> I think the GNOME proposal does do what you are requesting.
>
> I don't understand your comment about desktop environments needing
> special icons. For most distros, there is only one icon: Fedora is
> Fedora no matter what desktop environment you use.

 From my understanding OS is the end product of vendor putting out
distro
under certain name. In that case GNOME_LOGO is not a viable entry under
this spec, because Gnome is just a component of a functioning operating
system under other name (except for distros that call themselves Gnome
Next and stuff to that effect). GNOME_LOGO is something that was
proposed
earlier in bgo thread to acommodate for that spec's suggestion.

> I would expect a desktop environment about system dialog to show this
> new os-release distro icon and fall back to a generic icon (like the
> GNOME foot) if there is no os-release icon.
>
> /etc/os-release is about system-level stuff. For instance, Ubuntu and
> Kubuntu have the same /etc/os-release file. If Kubuntu wants to show a
> different system logo, it can just ship its version in its default
> icon theme. Or Debian-based distros can use the update-alternatives
> system.

I forgot that Ubuntu spins don't have their own repos, you are
absolutely
right!

> Despite the discussion on the GNOME bug, I don't think anyone has
> proposed the addition to either this list or systemd yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy Bicha

That's why I thought to bring it up. It would be great to start with
adding LOGO to the spec, before starting any work that would fall
outside
of spec and make the LOGO entry in spec an afterthought.

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world