Symbolic Icons / SVG Icons that get recoloured

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 10:21:39 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 5:28 PM David Edmundson <davidedmundson at kde.org> wrote:
> Gnome has: FG, Success, Warning, Error   colour properties
> KDE has: Text, PositiveText, NeutralText, NegativeText colour properties
>
> The exact same idea, but one is semantic, the other explicitly mapping
> the palette names.
>
> There are a few other subtle differences:
>
> * We don't change elements in the SVG unless they set a class. GTK
> mods most elements to the foreground colour.
> * KDE injects the CSS for all SVG icons, not just those ending in -symbolic
> * KDE also has two other CSS colour classes "Background, Highlight"

I really hope something standardized can be done..
on the surface, i like that GTK has very semantic names, like
success,warning and error.
Tough one concern is that since injects the "fg" style everywhere,
it's really possible to tint only the -symbolic names (designers often
change their mind where and under what circumstances monochrome icons
should be, it's all depending to design trends that may be valid today
and not tomorrow)
having to set a class for every shape that has to be colored requires
more work for the designer, tough in the end the result is more
controllable.

--
Marco Martin