Notification quick reply DBus API

Zander Brown zbrown at gnome.org
Wed Feb 5 13:57:43 UTC 2020

--
Zander Brown <zbrown at gnome.org>

  Maintainer:
  Dia Diagram Editor
  King's Cross / KGX
  GNOME Design Tooling (Icon Preview, Colour Palette)

  Co-Maintainer:
  GNOME Clocks

  en_GB Translation Team

  Me ≢ GNOME

On Wed, 2020-02-05 at 12:52 +0100, Kai Uwe Broulik wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I propose augmenting the Desktop Notification Spec for a capability for
> a quick reply feature. It will have supported notification servers add a
> text field inside the popup with a dedicated signal for quickly replying
> to text messages:

Sounds like a nice idea

> optional signal org.freedesktop.Notifications.NotificationReplied(uint
> id, string reply)
> This signal is emitted when a reply text in a notification is submitted.

I'm not sure this is needed

> In Notification Components, section "Actions":
> When supported, an action named "inline-reply" may add a text field to
> the notification allowing input of a reply text without invoking an action.

... since if your already using an action to mark inline reply as supported,
why  not use the action?

So instead of NotificationReplied(42, "Hi") do ActionInvoked(42, "inline-
reply::Hi")

That way we aren't actually changing how notifications work, just formalising a
way of using them