Redistribution of file URI specification

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Wed Jul 1 08:35:48 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 20:01 +0000, Christian Dürr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to redistribute the Freedesktop file-uri specification as
> part of the
> terminal working directory notification proposal
> (
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/terminal-wg/specifications/-/merge_requests/7
> ),
> to prevent link rot from potentially invalidating the reference to
> the official
> resource.
>
> Is it permitted to copy the full text of the specification and
> redistribute it
> independently? Linking to the original would probably be a good idea
> anyways, so
> if that's necessary that's not a problem.
>
> And if this is permitted, are there any exact licensing terms that
> need to be
> followed (like providing the license together with the
> specification)?

You'll need to find the original authors so they can attach a license
to it, and you might want to migrate it to the xdg-specs repository as
well.

I don't think that including that wholesale into your specification
would be needed afterwards, but you could certainly use archive.org
URLs if you want to ensure long-term availability.

Cheers