Redistribution of file URI specification

Christian Dürr contact at christianduerr.com
Wed Jul 1 15:05:59 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020, at 08:35, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 20:01 +0000, Christian Dürr wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to redistribute the Freedesktop file-uri specification as
> > part of the
> > terminal working directory notification proposal
> > (
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/terminal-wg/specifications/-/merge_requests/7
> > ),
> > to prevent link rot from potentially invalidating the reference to
> > the official
> > resource.
> >
> > Is it permitted to copy the full text of the specification and
> > redistribute it
> > independently? Linking to the original would probably be a good idea
> > anyways, so
> > if that's necessary that's not a problem.
> >
> > And if this is permitted, are there any exact licensing terms that
> > need to be
> > followed (like providing the license together with the
> > specification)?
>
> You'll need to find the original authors so they can attach a license
> to it, and you might want to migrate it to the xdg-specs repository as
> well.
>
> I don't think that including that wholesale into your specification
> would be needed afterwards, but you could certainly use archive.org
> URLs if you want to ensure long-term availability.
>
> Cheers

I was hoping that I might find the original authors here,
since the file-uri-spec page (https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/file-uri-spec/)
explicitly points to this list.

I'm not sure where I'd find them otherwise,
since there's not a lot of information about the authors available.

Kind regards,

Christian Duerr