A standard for global/desktop environment shortcuts to prevent conflicts with Linux apps

Sparr sparr0 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 22:23:42 UTC 2020

This spec does not just apply to whole desktop environments. It claims to
apply to applications as well. I am calling out applications that run both
in FOSS desktop environments AND in other environments.

GIMP is one such example. Until recently, GIMP used the same set of
libraries to build for Mac and Linux, and the same shortcuts (unless the
user changed them). For example, it used ctrl+c for "copy" on both OSes.
However, since it has gained the ability to run natively on macOS, instead
of through an X11 server, the default shortcuts have been changed such that
they are ctrl+c on non-mac OSes and command/super+c on mac.

I don't think this is a serious issue, but it's still relevant to the
development of cross-platform applications like that.