New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 21:04:42 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 9:43 PM Bollinger, John C <John.Bollinger at stjude.org>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 11:35 AM, Jehan Pagès <
> jehan.marmottard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In particular when here the issue is very visible. The desktop format is
> much too broad as to what consists of a MIME type support. It is obvious no
> desktop out there will be able to make reasonable default choices with such
> basic information.
>

> Just as I would be open, in principle, to adding some variety of quality
> of support measure to the mime-association information in desktop files, I
> would also be open, in principle, to adding some kind of purpose-based
> categorization of MIME associations.  The two might even work together. but
> I don't see any of that in the proposal that was brought to the table.

Please let's stop this part of the discussion here. I already apologized
for having been confrontational and I really meant it.

And everyone in this thread already told you that what you say my proposal
is not is exactly what my proposal is about. You are the only one who is
persistently telling me that you know better than me what I said. This is
just not constructive and neither nice nor respectful. So please let's stop
it here.

> I never denied that there was an issue, but I did and do challenge the
> specific proposal, and I furthermore question to what extent individual
> software packages are positioned to provide good solution, whatever changes
> might be made in the desktop file specification.

Then we can discuss the ideas to improve the situation and do better than
my proposal. This is what everyone else is doing, and as you see, the
discussion goes very well with everyone else. On your end, you are just
consistently going off-topic and explaining to me what you think I said,
even when I tell you it's not.

Thanks for understanding and let's go forward now.

Jehan

> Regards,
>
> John

ZeMarmot open animation film