New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

Sebastian Pipping sebastian at pipping.org
Sun Feb 21 15:56:09 UTC 2021

Hi Jehan,

On 16.02.21 17:11, Jehan Pagès wrote:
> Typically someone reported an issue about GIMP taking over handling of
> image types it supports every time it is installed/updated. So for
> instance JPEG images were not displayed by default with a simple image
> viewer anymore, but in GIMP.

we had exactly that in Gentoo where Gimp was taking over PDF files by
default, just because it can import PDF and hence announced that mime
type as supported.

For Gentoo, my workaround was to rename gimp.desktop to zzz-gimp.desktop
during installation, and that's still done today [1], but it's nowhere
near a fix and not without problems [2].

So if you get that situation improved, that would surely be nice.

Thanks and best

Sebastian

[1]
https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/blob/2782856fd385873204c69abcc8e46053227e4cb1/media-gfx/gimp/gimp-2.10.22-r2.ebuild#L191