New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Feb 21 16:10:06 UTC 2021

On 2/21/21 10:56 AM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> we had exactly that in Gentoo where Gimp was taking over PDF files by
> default, just because it can import PDF and hence announced that mime
> type as supported.
>
> For Gentoo, my workaround was to rename gimp.desktop to zzz-gimp.desktop
> during installation, and that's still done today [1], but it's nowhere
> near a fix and not without problems [2].
>
> So if you get that situation improved, that would surely be nice.
Never mind whether that's a bad workaround or a good workaround. How was
that even *a* workaround in the first place? mimeinfo.cache is not
ordered by filename.

Your "workaround" should be precisely as effective as standing on one
foot and singing The Hedgehog Song.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User