New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Mon Feb 22 13:57:09 UTC 2021

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021, at 13:21, Mark Watts wrote:
> If I
> understand correctly, based on the excerpt of the desktop entry spec
> below, there's no prohibition on adding entries outside of those
> explicitly listed in the standard, so we're good there.

The spec says that additional non-standard fields should be prefixed with something like X-Gnome- , although it doesn't appear to be mandatory:

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s12.html

I agree that it's probably a good idea to get a desktop interested in the idea before focusing on the specification. If you can get a desktop to implement it even as a non-standard field, I imagine it would be quite easy to get applications to use it.

Thomas