New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

Charles Plessy charles-listes+xdg at plessy.org
Wed Feb 24 14:16:55 UTC 2021

Le Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 07:21:17AM -0600, Mark Watts a écrit :

> Instead, it might be better to add support in one or more
> applications through patches, extensions, and the like, demonstrate
> adoption and *then* standardize around those implementations.

Indeed, we can go ahead with a pilot project.

Just to recap: my use case is the conversion of Desktop entries to
Mailcap format, which has the concept of priority between applications.
I would be interested to implement support for Jehan's proposed update
after GIMP's new Desktop entry arrives in Debian.

Jehan, I gave you my point of view on your proposal and understand your
objections.  I think that Mark's advice to reach out other consumers of
Desktop entries is a good one.  I would be happy if you ping me or this
thread if you move forward your proposal.

Have a nice day,

Charles Plessy

Maintainer of the mailcap, mime-support and media-types packages in Debian.

--
Charles Plessy                         Nagahama, Yomitan, Okinawa, Japan
Debian Med packaging team         http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med