New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

Thayne astrothayne at gmail.com
Fri May 7 14:16:07 UTC 2021

On Fri, May 7, 2021, 04:18 Stefan Blachmann <sblachmann at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/7/21, Thayne McCombs <astrothayne at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I open text files in a lot of different formats, and I'd like to be able
> > to open
> > them all with the same editor, but adding an entry for every text/*
> > entry that I
> > could ever possibly use to my mimeapps.list is quite a pain.
>
> This is why my opinion is that the correct and simplest way to deal
> with that mess is not introducing more complicated configuration
> bureaucracy, instead just respecting (e.g. memorizing) your preference
> for each file type/format you showed by using OpenWith.

But I don't want to be prompted seperately for every text type. I just want
to set the default for text/* once. I don't disagree with prompting the
user and storing the result, but that is orthogonal to being able to make a
default application for a wildcard. The prompt could even have an option to
make the app the default for all text, all images, etc.

And of course if there is a more specific rule (for example, a rule for
text/css) that would have higher precedence than a wildcard rule