New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

Stefan Blachmann sblachmann at gmail.com
Fri May 7 10:18:09 UTC 2021

On 5/7/21, Thayne McCombs <astrothayne at gmail.com> wrote:

> I open text files in a lot of different formats, and I'd like to be able
> to open
> them all with the same editor, but adding an entry for every text/*
> entry that I
> could ever possibly use to my mimeapps.list is quite a pain.

This is why my opinion is that the correct and simplest way to deal
with that mess is not introducing more complicated configuration
bureaucracy, instead just respecting (e.g. memorizing) your preference
for each file type/format you showed by using OpenWith.

(That problem annoyed me much, and the desire of having some "Recently
used/opened" mechanisms was one of the reasons why I wrote my own
solution "Meow&Purr", a complete replacement for xdg-menu for FVWM.)

Again my question:
What is the correct way to make xdg-open pass through to my script?

Because, as far as I can see, without a defined mechanism to do this,
my only option would be to delete/replace the xdg-open file.
Which is no good solution because it causes conflicts with package managers etc.