New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat May 8 08:42:01 UTC 2021

On samedi 8 mai 2021 08:08:17 CEST Thayne wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 8:35 AM Marc Pervaz Boocha <mboocha at sudomsg.xyz>
>
> wrote:
> > Another option is maybe have an option in the the definition of
> > mimetypes xml files to have some kind of derivation. So all text/xml is
> > will be marked as text/plain for applications.
>
> that seems more complicated to me than a system that uses the default app
> for text/* if there isn't one assigned for text/xml at the same level, and
> I'm not sure what the benefit is. Note that I'm only proposing that the
> wildcard would be allowed as the entireity of the type after the slash.

text/* kind of makes sense, but image/*, video/* or application/* doesn't,
there's no application that can for sure handle all of that.
So instead of a one-use-case wildcard support, the mimetype spec has support
for inheritance. If you associate any application with text/plain then it WILL
be associated indirectly with all text/* mimetypes.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5