New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

Thayne astrothayne at gmail.com
Sun May 9 05:09:05 UTC 2021

Thayne McCombs

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 2:42 AM David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:

> On samedi 8 mai 2021 08:08:17 CEST Thayne wrote:
> > On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 8:35 AM Marc Pervaz Boocha <mboocha at sudomsg.xyz>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Another option is maybe have an option in the the definition of
> > > mimetypes xml files to have some kind of derivation. So all text/xml is
> > > will be marked as text/plain for applications.
> >
> > that seems more complicated to me than a system that uses the default app
> > for text/* if there isn't one assigned for text/xml at the same level,
> and
> > I'm not sure what the benefit is. Note that I'm only proposing that the
> > wildcard would be allowed as the entireity of the type after the slash.
>
> text/* kind of makes sense, but image/*, video/* or application/* doesn't,
> there's no application that can for sure handle all of that.
> So instead of a one-use-case wildcard support, the mimetype spec has
> support
> for inheritance. If you associate any application with text/plain then it
> WILL
> be associated indirectly with all text/* mimetypes.

application/* definitely doesn't make sense. But image/* and video/*
definitely do (as in I want to use application X to open any image type by
default, unless there is something more specific). I guess there is a
question of how to set up something where you have a viewer for image/*,
but then have some more niche formats opened by specific applications, such
as image/xcf with gimp.