New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat May 8 08:45:46 UTC 2021

On mardi 4 mai 2021 16:05:20 CEST Stefan Blachmann wrote:
> Shouldn't the DE, respective the file manager keep a LRU sorted list
> of applications for each mime/file type, so that it sort of
> "memorizes" and respect the users' favorite apps?
> So the list of the applications shown on "Open With" should reflect
> what the particular user *actually* prefers to use, and present this
> topmost.
>
> Some, like KDE, do not do this. So the user often has to go through
> the app choosing menus each and every time (s)he wants to open a
> particular file type.
>
> This is very annoying.

On the other hand, if I alternate between three different video editors,
it would be very annoying if they would keep switching places in the "Open
With" menu. This isn't the place to discuss user interfaces, but since you
want to standardize a LRU list, let me just object to the whole idea :)
If the user prefers a single application, they can easily change the settings
to make it the default one. If the user wants to juggle multiple application,
they can actually define the order they want in the Open With menu,
by reordering the apps in the settings dialog. This is IMHO much better
than a constantly reordering LRU list.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5