New `MimeType` fields in .desktop

Thayne McCombs astrothayne at gmail.com
Fri May 7 06:30:36 UTC 2021

On 5/3/21 1:36 PM, Eli Schwartz wrote:

> And then there is mimeo, a program that lets you take a desktop file and
> add default associations for it, for every mimetype matching, say,
> 'glob:text/*'. Because if you don't whack mimeapps.list with a big stick
> and add user preferences for every mimetype known to man, you might end
> up in the tragic situation where some implementation of some spec tries
> to randomly guess for you, so let's better set all the ones you don't
> use just in case someday you do use it. "Better safe than sorry."

On a tangent, the inability to set a preferred application for wildcard mime
types like text/* and image/* is a big pain point for me.

I open text files in a lot of different formats, and I'd like to be able
to open
them all with the same editor, but adding an entry for every text/*
entry that I
could ever possibly use to my mimeapps.list is quite a pain.