Help System Specification: Rationale of help path

notebook notebook22312 at gmail.com
Sat May 15 12:35:41 UTC 2021

Thank you for input on this topic!

jtojnar:
> Note that filesystem hierarchy standard already turns the system into a big soup.
> I would guess it has been influenced by the localedir notably used by

Shaun McCance:
> it is what it is. It's not worth the effort to change it at this point.
> The KDE person suggested that this was easier to implement

rhkramer:
> as Shaun wrote (all elided), it is probably not worth the effort to change.

Apart from the KDE-guy this sounds like "it's already like this" and "others use it, too". Perhaps I should search for records of that meeting in 2010 - or even dig into the reasoning behind `localedir` (any input welcome).

@"Changing is not worth the effort": Guessing, that the current systems live another 20+ years, I'd say it's worth the effort giving its superiority over the current system. That being commended, I should search for why things are like they are.

jtojnar:
> If you want nicer structure look at GoboLinux or Nix.
Thank you for the reference!

rhkramer:
> I am not likely to ever try to
> access a help file in other than my native language ((American) English), so
> getting into a directory with all the other English help files seems more
> natural to me.

Unfortunately this only works, if you are able to enjoy the pleasure of an almost-always supported language.

Regards
Chris