Help System Specification: Rationale of help path

jtojnar at gmail.com jtojnar at gmail.com
Sun May 9 08:33:14 UTC 2021

> I'd like to know why help files are sorted by language first and then
> by application name, instead of the other way around.

I would guess it has been influenced by the localedir notably used by
GNU gettext (/usr/share/locale). Or maybe mandir (/usr/share/man),
which also supports localizations according to FHS:

https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s11.html#usrsharemanManualPages

> Apart from easier manual handling, I would say this ordering helps
> keeping applications apart from each other, versus, the current spec
> looks like it turn the whole system into a big soup.

Note that filesystem hierarchy standard already turns the system into a
big soup. If you want nicer structure look at GoboLinux or Nix.