A few questions about escaping in desktop files

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Thu Aug 25 12:20:13 UTC 2022

On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 at 16:24:24 -0400, Elsie Hupp wrote:
> As an aside, if the two main reference implementations resolve a number
> of ambiguities in the specification, might updating the specification to
> reflect these two reference implementations be a good way of eliminating
> said ambiguities?

That would be great to have, but for this to happen, someone needs to do
the work. Unfortunately, the people who are best-placed to understand the
finer points of this specification tend to be the same overworked people
who are already keeping an entire desktop environment afloat, which is why
it's me responding to this thread and not a core GNOME or KDE maintainer.

If you or someone else can do the research and propose spec updates,
I can't promise any particular timescale for them to be reviewed (again,
because the best people to review them would be the same overworked people
who need to review everything else), but the more help people can provide
in this direction, the more likely it is to happen.

Sorry, I'm responsible for enough things already and cannot commit to
doing this myself.

    smcv