[Xesam] Why is vendor.maxhits read-only?

Anders Rune Jensen anders at iola.dk
Tue Dec 18 05:28:30 PST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 1:48 PM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
<mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/12/2007, Anders Rune Jensen <anders at iola.dk> wrote:
> > >
> > > Would it not be just as good had you had a xesam client lib (exposing
> > > these features) with GObjects for C#?
> >
> > Not if I want performance. Lets say I want to get metadata from beagle
> > for 1000 files. In current beagle-xesam-adaptor this translates into
> > 40 dbus calls of 25 results just to get all the results. Furthermore I
> > have to do 10 seperate searches since beagle will only return me 100
> > hits per search and I can't change this in any way even though the
> > native beagle api allows me to do it.
>
> According to http://xesam.org/main/XesamSearch90 calls to GetHits
> should block until the data is available or the entire index has been
> searched. Considering this why would calling GetHits (1000) not do
> what you want? (except that you can't do this with Beagle)

Excellent, that's exactly what I need, well yeah except that I have to
do it in chunks of 100. I didn't know I could specify a number
different from what I got in HitsAdded.

> If you want better responsiveness you probably want to fetch the hits
> in smaller batches anyway.
>
> > I know the current api is optimized for returning results used in a
> > page-style. But it's really sad that if you want to use it in another
> > way you have to jump through hoops to get it to do that :-)
>
> It should be possible to do more massive "hit-harvesting" to do
> additional bulk analysis like I assume you want.
>
> If this is hard then it is a "bug" in the spec. If you could outline
> you use case a bit more it might shed some light...

Lets say I want to migrate from tracker to beagle or the other way
around, and I want to write a script that takes all my tags and
applies them to the other datastore.

--
Anders Rune Jensen
http://people.iola.dk/anders/