[Xesam] Why is vendor.maxhits read-only?

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 04:48:50 PST 2007

On 18/12/2007, Anders Rune Jensen <anders at iola.dk> wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 11:48 AM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
> <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > So far I can work around all of this, but it really would be much
> > > nicer to have those two interfaces.
> >
> > Would it not be just as good had you had a xesam client lib (exposing
> > these features) with GObjects for C#?
>
> Not if I want performance. Lets say I want to get metadata from beagle
> for 1000 files. In current beagle-xesam-adaptor this translates into
> 40 dbus calls of 25 results just to get all the results. Furthermore I
> have to do 10 seperate searches since beagle will only return me 100
> hits per search and I can't change this in any way even though the
> native beagle api allows me to do it.

According to http://xesam.org/main/XesamSearch90 calls to GetHits
should block until the data is available or the entire index has been
searched. Considering this why would calling GetHits (1000) not do
what you want? (except that you can't do this with Beagle)

If you want better responsiveness you probably want to fetch the hits
in smaller batches anyway.

> I know the current api is optimized for returning results used in a
> page-style. But it's really sad that if you want to use it in another
> way you have to jump through hoops to get it to do that :-)

It should be possible to do more massive "hit-harvesting" to do
additional bulk analysis like I assume you want.

If this is hard then it is a "bug" in the spec. If you could outline
you use case a bit more it might shed some light...

Cheers,
Mikkel