[Xesam] People: a desktop contact management framework

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 07:31:30 PDT 2008

On 28/03/2008, Johann Prieur <johann.prieur at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We at the People project [1] are working on a contact management
> framework to provide an unified way to access contact data for desktop
> applications. As I understand it, and at some point, it would be
> possible to build a XESAM server on top of our stack. Am I wrong on
> this? I'm really interested in knowing your thoughts about that! A
> descriptive article on the scope of People is available on my blog
> [2].
>
> Cheers,
> Johann
>
> [1] https://code.launchpad.net/people-project/
> [2]
> http://jprieur.wordpress.com/2008/03/28/people-a-contact-management-framework/

You have several options for integrating with Xesam. The two most sensible
are probably:

1) Expose a Xesam Search API on you own dbus server (with a differrent bus
name than the primary desktop search engine of course). By using dbus
activation this will not necessitate a full blown daemon.

2) Let the desktop indexer index the contacts stored in People. The next
Xesam iteration will define a framework for harvesting and indexing
metadata, so that applications can index their data in the global index, but
there is currently no standard way to do this.

You may also want to look at the Xesam PIM[1] ontology before you launch
your selves into that. If you have any last minute requests to make the
ontology useful for you, then we are still "only" in RC2, so minor tweaks
can be accepted.

Cheers,
Mikkel

[1]: The Xesam PIM ontology revolves around:
http://xesam.org/main/XesamOntology#xesam:PIM
http://xesam.org/main/XesamOntology#xesam:Contact
http://xesam.org/main/XesamOntology#xesam:Message
http://xesam.org/main/XesamOntology#xesam:CommunicationChannel