[Xesam] tracker's modifications on nepomuk ontologies

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Tue Jul 7 06:26:03 PDT 2009

Hi,

we should discuss one ontology at a time, starting with the one where
its easy to reach consensus.

what is most pressing on your agenda to get upstream?

I would propose you then add a ticket to the oscaf ticket system on
sourceforge and we discuss the changes.

best
Leo

It was Ivan Frade who said at the right time 29.06.2009 21:01 the
following words:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Roberto Guido <bob4job at gmail.com
> <mailto:bob4job at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Looking at the Tracker's modified Nepomuk ontologies (here ->
>     http://git.gnome.org/cgit/tracker/tree/data/ontologies/ ) which Philip
>     Van Hoof point out some weeks ago, I see a lot of comments and
>     corrections and additions.
>

> Yes, we were working in some client applications, and we needed some
> changes.
>
>     Where those changes have been discussed (if they have been
>     discussed in
>     any public place)?
>

> Nowhere. There were no active forum at that time to discuss our
> proposals (that was one of the reasons to push for an open source nepomuk)
>

>     There are rationales about those modifications?
>

> Yes, we needed them to implement some real use cases (i want to
> emphasize that are Real-World needs).
>
>  We did our extensions carefully: trying to follow the nepomuk
> philosophy and keeping the consistency of the ontologies. However,
> there are usually more than one possible solution for each problem, so
> we would really appreciate comments about our proposals. (This was a
> second reason for the open source approach)

>     avoid to fragment the ontologies yet before to spread them, can we
>     discuss them together in the perspective to evaluate inclusion in
>     "official" stream and/or reach a consensus?
>

> Yes, of course. I planned to do that once the svn was reorganized
> (start to write tickets about our changes)
>
> IIRC the changes are:
> 1) NMO: added the mimeparts of a message to represent correctly emails
> 2) NMO: added mail account information
> 3) NMO: added RSS feed support
> 4) NMO: added IM support
> 3) Some changes in property ranges here and there
> 4) New ontology for downloads and transfers (MTO at the moment)
> 5) A draft of location ontology (MLO at the moment)
> 6) NMM: new ontology to unify multimedia representation
> 7) Some extensions for FM Radio support (not sure those are commited yet)
> 8) Web history support ( http://live.gnome.org/Tracker/WebHistory )
> 9) Different solution for lists (implemented on playlists)
>
> And maybe more. We put quite a lot of effort using/developing the
> ontologies :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Ivan

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313