[Xesam] Nepomuk/Desktop/Shared ontologies - svn layout as discussed at the GCDS last week

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Mon Jul 13 07:10:31 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

as discussed last week at the GCDS I changed the layout of the ontology svn
for the OSCAF project:

- trunk
  |- ontologies
     |- base
        |- dces.rdf
        |- dcq.rdf
        |- dctype.rdf
        |- rdf.rdfs
        |- rdfs.rdfs
     |- nrl
        |- nrl.trig
        |- doc
           |- nrl-header.html
     |- nao
        |- nao.trig
        |- doc
           |- nao-header.html
     |- ...
  |- draft
  |- tools

The 'ontologies' folder contains all "stable" ontologies which will make up
our releases. The 'draft' folder contains ontologies under discussion. The
'tools' folder will contain the scripts used to generate the docs and to
verify commits (Ivan took responsibility for creating the scripts).

Each ontology has its own folder which contains the one trig (turtle + named
graphs) file and the doc folder. The doc folder contains an html header which
will be used to generate the ontology documentation in combination with the
comments from the ontology itself.

The trig file contains two named graphs:
1. The ontology itself
2. the metadata graph which contains information such as the graphs' type, the
   version, the state of the ontology, the last modification date, and so on.
   This information is encoded using NRL and NAO.

The 'ontologies/base' folder contains base ontologies which are not under our
influcene, i.e. which we do not maintain but depend on. At the moment these
are all serialized in rdf+xml since that is what everybody seems to use at the
moment.

I moved the old content to branches/legacy. This also contains the java apps
used to generate the docs before. Ivan, maybe those are of interest to you
when creating the scripts.

Open issues are:
* We need the doc generation scripts and a build system (we decided to use
  autotools)
* The base ontologies are encoded in rdf-xml instead of trig. Should we
  convert them to trig (and add metadata in the process and also have a
  slightly more complex update mechanism if they change) or should we keep
  them in their original form? The latter sparks the problem of serialization
  again: if we only use trig client that need to parse the ontologies can
  depend on that. If not, we need to somehow store which serialization is
  used. In KDE I use desktop files for that. But there are probably other
  possibilities, too.
* Copyright: none of the files contain a copyright header atm. We need to
  settle on the licence and then add a header to all files. Also atm the
  documentation stated that the ontos are (C) Nepomuk consortium which does
  not exist anymore. Question is: who is it now?
  (I know we discussed this before but I fail to find the email at the moment.
  I only Nepomuk integration in KMail was already done...)

Cheers,
Sebastian