[Xesam] Nepomuk/Desktop/Shared ontologies - svn layout as discussed at the GCDS last week

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Mon Jul 13 08:37:45 PDT 2009

It was Sebastian Trüg who said at the right time 13.07.2009 16:10 the
following words:
> Hi guys,
>
> as discussed last week at the GCDS I changed the layout of the ontology svn
> for the OSCAF project:
>
> - trunk
>   |- ontologies
>      |- base
>         |- dces.rdf
>         |- dcq.rdf
>         |- dctype.rdf
>         |- rdf.rdfs
>         |- rdfs.rdfs
>      |- nrl
>         |- nrl.trig
>         |- doc
>            |- nrl-header.html
>      |- nao
>         |- nao.trig
>         |- doc
>            |- nao-header.html
>      |- ...
>   |- draft
>   |- tools
>
> The 'ontologies' folder contains all "stable" ontologies which will make up
> our releases. The 'draft' folder contains ontologies under discussion. The
> 'tools' folder will contain the scripts used to generate the docs and to
> verify commits (Ivan took responsibility for creating the scripts).
>
> Each ontology has its own folder which contains the one trig (turtle + named
> graphs) file and the doc folder. The doc folder contains an html header which
> will be used to generate the ontology documentation in combination with the
> comments from the ontology itself.
>
> The trig file contains two named graphs:
> 1. The ontology itself
> 2. the metadata graph which contains information such as the graphs' type, the
>    version, the state of the ontology, the last modification date, and so on.
>    This information is encoded using NRL and NAO.
>
> The 'ontologies/base' folder contains base ontologies which are not under our
> influcene, i.e. which we do not maintain but depend on. At the moment these
> are all serialized in rdf+xml since that is what everybody seems to use at the
> moment.
>
> I moved the old content to branches/legacy. This also contains the java apps
> used to generate the docs before. Ivan, maybe those are of interest to you
> when creating the scripts.
>

> Open issues are:
> * We need the doc generation scripts and a build system (we decided to use
>   autotools)
> * The base ontologies are encoded in rdf-xml instead of trig. Should we
>   convert them to trig (and add metadata in the process and also have a
>   slightly more complex update mechanism if they change) or should we keep
>   them in their original form? The latter sparks the problem of serialization
>   again: if we only use trig client that need to parse the ontologies can
>   depend on that. If not, we need to somehow store which serialization is
>   used. In KDE I use desktop files for that. But there are probably other
>   possibilities, too.

converting a XML to N3/turtle is easy, doable online:
http://www.mindswap.org/2002/rdfconvert/

> * Copyright: none of the files contain a copyright header atm. We need to
>   settle on the licence and then add a header to all files. Also atm the
>   documentation stated that the ontos are (C) Nepomuk consortium which does
>   not exist anymore. Question is: who is it now?
>   (I know we discussed this before but I fail to find the email at the moment.
>   I only Nepomuk integration in KMail was already done...)

I suggest to use a BSD/CC combined header file (as ontologies are not
sourcecode but a bit documentation,
dual-licensing them under BSD/CC-BY should be fine and keep everyone
happy for the future).

Copyright is always to the individual who created the files, if the
individual publishes the file under BSD/CC, then the name of the
individual is kept.
We had a long discussion about copyright, and Sebastian said that it is
unrealistic to require people to transfer copyright (or relicensing
rights) to OSCAF, so the individuals write their own name into the files.

I think I already wrote the license headers, but can't find them, so
again, I wrote the license header we should use here:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/oscaf/wiki/License

if you disagree, change this wikipage and send us the reason why.

"""
Copyright (c) <year>, <Person or Company>
All rights reserved, licensed under either CC-BY or BSD.

You are free:
* to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
* to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
* Attribution — You must attribute the work in the manner specified by
the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they
endorse you or your use of the work).

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its
contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS
IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
"""

best
Leo

> Cheers,
> Sebastian

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313