[Xesam] Desktop ontology svn layout

Ivan Frade ivan.frade at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 02:58:26 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Antoni Mylka <antoni.mylka at gmail.com>wrote:

> Sebastian Trüg pisze:
>
> I know I come late to this discussion but it seems to me that all the
> use-cases for the build system you all mentioned could be achieved with
> a simple adaptation of the nepomuk java setup. These are all plain CLI
> applications ran from the ant script. It would be trivial to drop the
> ant script and call those apps from python/ruby/shell (I personally
> prefer ruby).

 The problem is not the Ant script, but the java dependency.

It seems that you prefer to write the tools from scratch in
> perl/python/whatever rather than adapt the NIEOntologyUtils java code.
> Are there any real technical/legal reasons not to use java?

 Well, in some platforms (e.g. maemo) there is no java available. Introduce
java in the platform just to generate a bunch of HTML documents sounds
silly.

> In such case though it all
> boils down to the fact that there are about 10 active non-java hackers
> on this list and that I haven't done (yet) what I said I would do in my
> mail from 9th of June. [1]

 True. The point is to get the things done.

Ivan