[Xesam] Request for an overview

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Fri Jul 24 03:31:53 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 12:01 +0200, Antoni Mylka wrote:
> Evgeny Egorochkin pisze:
> >> - I also had the impression that most people would prefer git,
> >>   nonetheless is SVN being installed as repository. This is probably not
> >>   a very big issue, just pointing out.
> >
> > It's not being installed, it's the only option offered by sf.net at this
> > moment, although my bet is they will eventually give in to people asking for
> > git.
> >

> It's not true. SF has git, bazaar, mercurial and CVS (and svn of course).

Git was most popular whenever this was brought up at conference
meetings.

> The only issue was that trac integrates only with subversion, so if we
> move to git we'll loose
> - changesets on the timeline (and the rss feed)
> - ability to link to changesets from wiki and ticket comments

Which aren't really features that are very important, to be honest.

> There is a trac plugin that enables git integration but it's not
> installed in the SF trac.
>
> This has been requested, and they might do it if it's popular:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorrent/sourceforge/ideatorrent/idea/41/
>
> All of these questions have been discussed in the thread "[Xesam]
> oscaf/xesam ontology merge: who is going to maintain/edit what?"
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xesam/2009-June/thread.html
>
> That thread was long and confusing though

Yes, and this is part of the problem that I wanted to address: I don't
have the feeling that there's a connection between the people who've
been discussing things face to face at conference meetings, and what has
been said in that discussion thread.

Let's reconnect this ;)

Hence the title of this E-mail: "Request for an overview": Articulate
the decisions and conclusions, rather than keeping them buried in a
mailing list thread.

> If this is what everyone wants then
> - i can enable the git repo
> - and import the current trunk
> - and disable svn

I think that's a good idea.

> - and ask everyone here to campaign for the git integration to be
> enabled (vote and tell others to vote on ideatorrent)

I'm still not sure what the other people think about using trac. I know
it has been quite unpopular whenever we brought this up at conference
meetings.

But maybe it's suddenly fine?

Let's wait a bit and allow others to formulate their opinion.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be