[Xesam] Validator

Ivan Frade ivan.frade at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 07:48:52 PDT 2009

Hi Antoni

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Antoni Mylka <antoni.mylka at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ivan Frade pisze:
> > 1) Release a tarball with the ontologies + HTML documentation so
> > distributions can build packages from it, and tracker, strigi,
> > kde-nepomuk depend on that package.
> >     For this we should use python/C and autotools. We have already a
> > "soft validator" in C, plus a basic HTML generation also in C.
> >
> > This is the point we discuss on GCDS, and agree on the svn layout, use
> > autotools and write the HTML generation.
>
> No problem as far as I'm concerned. Two questions though
> - what was the agreed way to add examples/testcases to the 'ontologies'
> folder.

 No, the idea is just to release the ontology files in a TRIG format in a
well-known directory ($(PREFIX)/ontologies IIRC) + some HTML doc (so you can
browse the ontology docs offline)

 No examples or test-cases for the ontology. There is no code: just the
ontology definition.

> - do you intend to generate header files / vocabulary constants /
> whatever is the c equivalent to a class similar to
> http://tinyurl.com/nxfe5c, or leave that up to application developers?

 No, the package only provide the ontologies. Each project decides what to
do with them: tracker uses the ontologies to generate the DB schema, other
projects have a generic triplet store and use the ontology in their own
way... The same applies to libraries: it is not clear how to expose SparQL
in a programatic way, so each library can decide how to generate its own
API.

> >  I couldn't check the wiki page, but i guess antoni wrote down what is
> > his validator checking so i can cross-check what is missing in the C
> > version.
>
> Is there something wrong with the trac wiki?

 For some reason i cannot access to the links published in the mailing list
(it asks for password). I can access going to the project web page and
accessing trac from there.

> >  What is blocking me now to write a proper HTML generator is to decide
> > what language to use. I can complete the C code, or rewrite the things
> > in python (nicer HTML template engines, easier string handling...).
> > Python looks nicer but i am not sure there is a turtle parser...
>
> By all means I'm for python/ruby (actually ruby more, but python will
> not be much of a problem either). All of them have redland bindings, and
> raptor does claim to support turtle.

 I never used ruby but i feel comfortable in python. I need to check the
redland bindings.

regards,

Ivan