[Xesam] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Urho Konttori urho.konttori at nokia.com
Mon May 4 23:28:58 PDT 2009

>> I mentioned in my blog that we already created the OSCAF sourceforge
>> project[2]. Now I don't really care how we name the project. Maybe OSCAF is
>> not the best name, maybe something very simple like "desktop-ontologies" would
>>

> I would say that we should reuse one of Xesam or Nepomuk for this. Why
> add one more buzz-word to an already crowded namespace? :) Besides, it
> makes it easier to associate the ontology with the project, then.

I would definitely like to keep Nepomuk as the ontology name. It is
already a name that has a lot of backing from high valu players :
http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main1/Participants

Nepomuk is the only viable foundation for semantic desktop ontology.
Nepomuk namespace is already in use in KDE.

Now, as to the OSCAF foundation maintaining the ontology, freedesktop,
w3c, whatnot, I would also really prefer that there would be one
ontology that is being pointed to. Having said that, we need to be able
to make changes to the ontogy in faster pace than it has seemed to be
happening recently.