[Xesam] [nepomuk-kde] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Wed May 6 08:21:53 PDT 2009

OK,

that is what I propose - just add developers to
http://sourceforge.net/projects/oscaf

Sebastian Trüg is an admin there and can add you and the existing
tickets - lets start doing it.

I also documented a possible process:
http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/OntologyMaintenance

best
Leo

It was Ivan Frade who said at the right time 05.05.2009 12:32 the
following words:
> Hi all,
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Leo Sauermann <leo.sauermann at dfki.de
> <mailto:leo.sauermann at dfki.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Guys,
>
>     I think the nepomuk/OSCAF sourceforge project that Sebastian Trüg
>     and I have created
>     for OSCAF a few months ago may help here.
>

>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/oscaf
>
>     we have a code repository where everyone can write who is willing
>     to work on it,
>     and a ticket system,
>     and the authority to officially continue the nepomuk ontologies there,
>     backed by the OSCAF foundation.
>

>     the nepomuk ontologies will move there anytime we find enough
>     volunteers to
>     work on it, or commercial developers to join OSCAF to work on it.
>

> We are proposing a completely open source project, no need to be
> "backed by" any foundation (whatever that means). If the project can
> work in the open source way, what is the point of OSCAF?
>

>     Still, that doesn't solve the problem of "who is going to do a
>     good job here",
>     as the problem is not "we have to create a new project",
>     we already had that on sourceforge since 20th February 2009,
>     the problem is:
>

>  Community :)
>

>     <old wiseguy>
>     who is going to work on the 23 tickets that we already know of,
>     which were reported
>     by Evgeny and I don't have the time to fix them?
>
>     http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/OntologyMaintenance
>

>     Well, the tickets are there because, after some years of work,
>     these are the hardest
>     ontology nuts to crack.... and some of them are also from NOKIA
>     guys who use
>     the ontology for maemo.
>

>  And i am pretty sure they are going to be very happy with a more
> dynamic and open source style in the managing of the ontologies :)
>

>     so, old wiseguy agrees that we must join forces and come to one
>     ontology,
>

>  Agree, but using OPEN SOURCE _in the whole process_.
>
>  Regards,
>
> Ivan

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313