[Xesam] [nepomuk-kde] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Mon May 4 13:56:14 PDT 2009

Hi Guys,

I think the nepomuk/OSCAF sourceforge project that Sebastian Trüg and I
have created
for OSCAF a few months ago may help here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/oscaf

we have a code repository where everyone can write who is willing to
work on it,
and a ticket system,
and the authority to officially continue the nepomuk ontologies there,
backed by the OSCAF foundation.

the nepomuk ontologies will move there anytime we find enough volunteers to
work on it, or commercial developers to join OSCAF to work on it.

we already have a TRAC for tickets there and I can move the NEPOMUK
ontologies
over.

Still, that doesn't solve the problem of "who is going to do a good job
here",
as the problem is not "we have to create a new project",
we already had that on sourceforge since 20th February 2009,
the problem is:

<old wiseguy>
who is going to work on the 23 tickets that we already know of, which
were reported
by Evgeny and I don't have the time to fix them?

http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/OntologyMaintenance

in my experience, creating a new project does only swallow worktime and
discussion time,
creates fud in all the stakeholders involved, and may drag apart the
community.
but does not solve these tickets.
I would guess that hte first thing a new admin of a new project would do
is say
"this has to be simpler than before, all the tickets are garbage anyway
we need to get rid
off, so lets start with a blank slate, horray".

Well, the tickets are there because, after some years of work, these are
the hardest
ontology nuts to crack.... and some of them are also from NOKIA guys who use
the ontology for maemo.
</old wiseguy>

so, old wiseguy agrees that we must join forces and come to one ontology,
but this does not magically solve the 23 hard-nut problems that are unsolved
since months.

best
Leo

It was Arun Raghavan who said at the right time 04.05.2009 21:30 the
following words:
> 2009/5/4 Sebastian Trüg <trueg at kde.org>:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> maybe you read my blog about Xesam and Nepomuk[1]. In essence I think we
>> should create a new project which will handle the maintenance of the desktop
>> ontologies. So far for me this means the Nepomuk ontologies NAO, NIE, and
>> PIMO.
>> IMHO it makes perfect sense to have a dedicated project for several reasons:
>>  * no copies floating around in different project packages
>>  * one standard that we agree on (I know this is hard)
>>  * one platform for discussion/bugs and general maintenance
>>  * One central ontologies package very much like the mimetype package
>>

> This sounds perfect.
>

>> I mentioned in my blog that we already created the OSCAF sourceforge
>> project[2]. Now I don't really care how we name the project. Maybe OSCAF is
>> not the best name, maybe something very simple like "desktop-ontologies" would
>>

> I would say that we should reuse one of Xesam or Nepomuk for this. Why
> add one more buzz-word to an already crowded namespace? :) Besides, it
> makes it easier to associate the ontology with the project, then.
>

>> be better. In any case I think using sourceforce (I prefer it since I already
>> have 3 projects there and was always happy with it) or something similar is a
>> good idea. We then don't need to spend time on setting up task tracking
>> systems or mailing lists. We just use what is there.
>>

> _If_ we agree to keep this effort under the head of Nepomuk or Xesam,
> I guess we can just reuse the existing infrastructure?
>
> Thanks for taking the initiative on this -- I think it'd be great if
> we could all quickly converge on how we want to proceed from here, and
> get the ball rolling.
>
> Cheers,

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313