[Xesam] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Tue May 5 08:15:08 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 15:50:09 Roberto Guido wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 May 2009 13:44:57 Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> > Keep in mind that Nepomuk is not only the ontologies but also the
> > semantic desktop framework in KDE.
>
> Oh, well, this doesn't helps...
> - Nepomuk: the ontology, but also an implementation from a specific vendor

yes

> - OSCAF: a foundation which maintains Nepomuk. The ontology, not the
> framework

right

> - Xesam: an API, implemented by Nepomuk (the framework), don't
> related to OSCAF, but which uses Nepomuk (the ontology)

Nepomuk does not actually implement Xesam.

> My proposal?
> - Xesam: the specification
> - Nepomuk: an implementation

I don't see Xesam as the specification of all ontologies. There are already 9
ontologies that have Nepomuk in their name and two more called PIMO and TMO.
Other ontologies will be reused, none of those will have their namespaces
adjusted to Xesam. Thus, IMHO it does not make sense to use Xesam as a name
for all ontologies.

Hm, originally, I did not want to get into one of these discussions... but I
can't help it. :P

Cheers,
Sebastian