[Xesam] [nepomuk-kde] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu May 7 02:41:56 PDT 2009

[replying to multiple concerns at once]

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 12:16:13 Sebastian Faubel wrote:
> In my opinion NEPOMUK project has produced remarkable results. The name
> is known to many people and there has been a lot of marketing for it - i
> think of the nice logo icons on the soprano site.. ;) We should not
> throw that away.
>
> Personally, I think we should stick to the name and start working on
> existing tickets. I bet we'd get support from many people for this.
> Since there's movement towards the Semantic Desktop also on GNOME we
> need to maintain these desktop ontologies collaboratively. What's wrong
> with the oscaf repository Leo has created?

That might be true for small projects that are producing code. (And even those
need, as they grow, organisational backing).

This is about maintaining and developing a standard set of ontologies to be
shared across different users / projects / applications / desktops. The OSCAF
foundation has been set up by NEPOMUK participants (KDE is among them) and its
goals align with those of KDE. OSCAF as the keeper of these ontologies would
make a lot of sense in my books.

That has of course nothing to do with technicalities such as hosting. IMO the
logo can still be used, it's very nice, it's visually not tied to NEPOMUK (the
name) but to semantics (the concepts) and it's recognizable and beautiful.
--
sebas