[Xesam] [nepomuk-kde] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Roberto Guido bob4mail at gmail.com
Thu May 7 14:39:27 PDT 2009

On Thursday 07 May 2009 21:52:38 you wrote:
> Or you whould clarify what kind of neutrality you expect?

"Community-driven" is a detailed enough definition :-) ?
More in general: OSCAF is a formal organization (= burocracy. Who maintains
the balance to present at the end of the fiscal year?), probably due legal
responsability only certain kind of members would have write access to
repositories and published contents (so: how much have I or anyone else to
pay to candidate?), from this page -> http://www.oscaf.org/organisation seems
economically dependant from at least one company (http://www.deri.ie/), and
by law one director *must* by resident in Ireland. I'm currently giving a
look at the Companies Act which regulates the "Public Company Limited by
Guarantee", just to begin I hope to heavy misunderstood article 163 imposing
a "Christian name" for every director...

> Sorry I don't understand what you mean here. Standardization at what level/
> for what purpose/by whom etc?

At this stage: "standardization" = "acceptable by everyone".
You say below this kind of technology is "in infancy", official
standardization (ISO?) may actually be a little pretentious.

> There's no specific reason for OSCAF existence other than there are a
> significant number of companies/organizations which decided to participate
> in nepomuk effort and they do it though OSCAF.

Which "companies/organizations"?
In which way those "companies/organizations" would "partecipate"?
Paying cash for what kind of activities?
And requiring what as return?

> If Xesam doesn't want to become a fork of Nepomuk, we have to have some
> dialogue with OSCAF. If OSCAF doesn't want Xesam to be come a fork of
> Nepomuk, they have to somehow listen to Xesam. It's pretty simple --
> dialogue is the key.

Oh, well... A cold war, where both players needs diplomatic collaboration by
the other to avoid self-destruction... It isn't so exciting...

--
Roberto -MadBob- Guido
http://claimid.com/madbob