[Xesam] [people] pimo:Tag vs nao:Tag

Tomás Vírseda kaskaras at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 06:15:11 PDT 2009

Hi, thanks for all the replies, links and ideas.

Leo, check www.vazaar-project.org. There I've setup a blog with some
info about my program. Basically what I want to do is an easy personal
information manager. As an IT worker I have to collect and manage a
lot of information. I've been looking how to achieve this task for
years. First, I tried with XML but it wasnt flexible enough. Later I
discovered the Semantic Web with Dublin Core and searching a little
bit about semantic desktops I found Nepomuk which fits perfectly with
my ideas.

One of my ideas is to build a tagging system inside the program.
Before reading all your suggestions I used nao:hasTag and uniques
strings. This is a real example about how I deal with tags inside a
resource (in this case the resource it's a link to my weblog)

<nfo:Website rdf:about="vazaar://377504a0-4da8-4b1e-a453-eb86dd371e23">
    <nfo:filePath>/blog/</nfo:filePath>
    <nfo:fileScheme>http</nfo:fileScheme>
    <nfo:fileUrl>http://www.vazaar-project.org/blog/</nfo:fileUrl>
    <nfo:fileStatus>200</nfo:fileStatus>
    <nao:created>2009-09-28 01:19:24</nao:created>
    <nie:mimeType>text/html</nie:mimeType>
    <nao:lastModified>2009-09-28 01:19:24</nao:lastModified>
    <nfo:fileNetloc>www.vazaar-project.org</nfo:fileNetloc>
    <nie:mimeMedia>text</nie:mimeMedia>
    <nfo:fileHostname>www.vazaar-project.org</nfo:fileHostname>
    <nao:hasTag>vazaar</nao:hasTag>
    <nao:hasTag>pim</nao:hasTag>
    <nao:hasTag>pygtk</nao:hasTag>
    <nao:hasTag>python</nao:hasTag>
    <nao:hasTag>rdflib</nao:hasTag>
    <nao:hasTag>nepomuk</nao:hasTag>
    <nie:mimeSubtype>html</nie:mimeSubtype>
    <nie:title>Vazaar Project Blog</nie:title>
</nfo:Website>

I'm not happy with this solution, only. One more time I'm tagging
resources but I don't know what the tag means. Also, tags are strings
and not URIRefs. I would prefer think in tag as another resource. As
far as I read I haven't found an unified vision for tagging systems.

So, if I have understood what you say in the FAQ, I should use
pimo:Tag which allow me use other _resources_ as tags. But which
resources can become Tags? PIMO Ontology docs says that "Documents
should not be Tags by default". So I will have to define a set of
resources which are allowed to become Tags. But I'm not happy with
this solution. Even I am not sure if Documents can not be Tags aswell.
I think that if I can use a Person as Tag I should be able to use
other kind of resources.

Then, my personal solution is to combine both versions and consider
Tags as single resources. That would let the user to use strings as
tags (eg.: keywords extracted from websites) or to use other resource
in her semantic database.