[Xesam] [people] pimo:Tag vs nao:Tag

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Mon Sep 28 08:14:50 PDT 2009

It was Ivan Frade who said at the right time 26.09.2009 09:55 the
following words:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Leo Sauermann <leo.sauermann at dfki.de
> <mailto:leo.sauermann at dfki.de>> wrote:
>
>     nao:Tag is for systems that just use NAO/NIE and are fine with
>     no-brainer solutions.
>     a nao:Tag has the semantic meaning of : the tag is a string. its
>     unique.
>

>     pimo:Tag is for systems that want to achieve a highlevel
>     integration of
>     Addressbooks, Calendars, Websites, etc... into a semantic network.
>     pimo:Tags are then not only tags, but can be also a pimo:Person - that
>     is, you can use a person's name to tag something but - surprise -
>     it is
>     also a person
>

> Out of curiosity: so "pimo:Tag" is then a generic "link" between two
> resources?
nope, uppercase always indicates a class. if you can read N3 (afaik you do):

claudia:Belfast a pimo:City, pimo:Tag.

claudia:MeetingInBelfast a pimo:SocialEvent;
  pimo:hasTag claudia:Belfast;
  pimo:hasLocation claudia:Belfast.

as you see in this simple example, there is a "transition path" between
dumb tagging and clever semantics - the city can be seen both as a Tag
for the meeting but also as a location. Difference in code is: only the
pimo:hasLocation is authorative enought that the code issues a google
maps plugin to show the location.

today, we live in a world of dumb tags and this is fine,
above example shows how we can get to semantic web in the next years,
without breaking backward compability.

> It sounds like we could replace all properties between concepts
> (exclusing inheritance) as tags: "music piece belongs to an album"
> could be a Tag, Contact sent an email..." another tag, "Contact has
> postal address" another tag....
>
>     .
>     now clicking on the person will get more...
>     a pimo:Tag has the semantic meaning of : the tag is a unique string
>     which is also a Thing out of the real world which can have more
>     attributes.
>

> Then it is opening the door to all kind of "custom properties". A
> pimo:Tag is like a property between two things that the user can
> label... it sounds pretty dangerous.
hm, I think its not.... but I don't understand everything you said....

please read the section on tagging in the spec and ask again:
http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/2007/11/01/pimo/v1.1/pimo_v1.1.pdf

:-)

best
Leo

> Regards,,
>
> Ivan

Dr. Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +43 6991 gnowsis
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313