[Xesam] positive feedback about NEPOMUK & KDE 4.4 - you rock

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Tue Mar 9 11:36:52 PST 2010

Hi NEPOMUK,

I take the time of the successfull KDE 4.4 release to give some feedback:

Since years I watch the news about NEPOMUK-KDE, and this time (4.4), I
get the impression the news was very positive. So I conclude that users
and the press now ask "what NEPOMUK features do I get next?" instead of
"make it go away, it slows down my computer and I don't know what it is".
Is my feeling right? (I hope)

can you share some positive NEPOMUK KDE stories?

Second, I have been a frequent speaker about Semantic Desktop since
2003, and I am happy to confess that now finally I have something to
talk about:
NEPOMUK-KDE is it, and its gaining momentum.

At CeBIT 2010 I gave a talk about Semantic Desktop and KDE and oscaf.org
and gnowsis.com, and I asked the question: how many people use KDE in
the audience?
Of the ~100 people listening, around 8 rose their hands.

They asked interested questions, like "does it watch my files when I
move them", and I said "I think so, if not, ask the NEPOMUK-KDE
mailinglist, Sebastian is a very friendly guy".

I also met people from KOffice, Inge Wallin from KO GmbH, see here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leobard/4401710199/in/set-72157623534291606/
http://www.kogmbh.com

Jos, you know these guys (they say).

Inge showed me some RDF-based annotation features in KOffice and I get
the impression that he understood very well what it means to embed RDF
metadata in Text documents - he mentioned some serious business cases
and that they got funding to go ahead with them (I don't know how much
is public, so I rather remain vague here).

So, I could go on here for longer, but the essence is:
NEPOMUK-KDE is here to stay and I like it. We have an excellent basis
already, I am looking forward to seeing it grow more and more, and I am
telling others how great it is.

greetings from Vienna,
Leo

Dr. Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +43 6991 gnowsis
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313