[Xesam] [nepomuk-kde] positive feedback about NEPOMUK & KDE 4.4 - you rock

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 23:24:41 PST 2010

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 21:36:52 Leo Sauermann wrote:
> Hi NEPOMUK,
>
> I take the time of the successfull KDE 4.4 release to give some feedback:
>

> Since years I watch the news about NEPOMUK-KDE, and this time (4.4), I
> get the impression the news was very positive. So I conclude that users
> and the press now ask "what NEPOMUK features do I get next?" instead of
> "make it go away, it slows down my computer and I don't know what it is".
> Is my feeling right? (I hope)

Definitely less complaints. Some people complain now that KDE insists on
running to many instances of various DBs(Nepomuk, Akonadi, Amarok etc). Also,
it seems there are more people trying to get Nepomuk to work for them as
opposed to getting rid of it, which may also mean that people who were annoyed
with it, learned the way to turn it off :)

> can you share some positive NEPOMUK KDE stories?

It seems to be usable now and many people are wokring on integration:
* Dolphin
* Telepathy
* everything akonadi-based
* Bangarang
* SemNotes(next version is going to rock)
* removable media support

I also hope someone will take up my GSoC idea of web metadata augmentation
framework, the most obvious applications of which is fetching extra media
metadata, lyrics, also would be useful for scientific papers and such.
Basically, it means putting whole NMM to work as opposed to the common 5
properties.

I have implemented a good enough media metadata extractor

Also, I hope to have metadata backup/restore, sync, merging and PoC sharing by
KDE 4.5

> Second, I have been a frequent speaker about Semantic Desktop since
> 2003, and I am happy to confess that now finally I have something to
> talk about:
> NEPOMUK-KDE is it, and its gaining momentum.
>
> At CeBIT 2010 I gave a talk about Semantic Desktop and KDE and oscaf.org
> and gnowsis.com, and I asked the question: how many people use KDE in
> the audience?
> Of the ~100 people listening, around 8 rose their hands.
>
> They asked interested questions, like "does it watch my files when I
> move them", and I said "I think so, if not, ask the NEPOMUK-KDE
> mailinglist, Sebastian is a very friendly guy".

I tries with the caveat that all file watching methods in linux suck.

> I also met people from KOffice, Inge Wallin from KO GmbH, see here:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/leobard/4401710199/in/set-72157623534291606/
> http://www.kogmbh.com
>
> Jos, you know these guys (they say).
>
> Inge showed me some RDF-based annotation features in KOffice and I get
> the impression that he understood very well what it means to embed RDF
> metadata in Text documents - he mentioned some serious business cases
> and that they got funding to go ahead with them (I don't know how much
> is public, so I rather remain vague here).

This is a longer-term project, it takes time to get it right, but it may end
up pretty useful.

> So, I could go on here for longer, but the essence is:
> NEPOMUK-KDE is here to stay and I like it. We have an excellent basis
> already, I am looking forward to seeing it grow more and more, and I am
> telling others how great it is.

We could use some promotion, that's for sure :)

--
Evgeny