[xliff-tools] PO Representation Guide: The PO Header

Josep Condal pcondal at apsic.com
Mon Feb 14 12:08:19 PST 2005

Hi Rodolfo,

Regarding this comment:
 ---
 "state" attribute of <target> element is used to qualify a translation.
This is intended to aid project managers decide when to add a
translation to a TM database. Look at the predefined values in
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff-specification
.htm#state and you will understand what I mean.

IMO, the "approved" attribute of <trans-unit> is better suited to
reflect if an entry needs translation or not. If a segment needs
translation, simply mark it as non approved. Once the translator has
reviewed the segment, he can mark it as approved.
---

How about if instead of the "approved" attribute we use the "translated"
attribute?

The following excerpt is from the XLIFF 1.1. specification:
---
The required id
<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff-specificatio
n.htm#id>  attribute is used to identify the <trans-unit> within the
file. The optional approved
<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff-specificatio
n.htm#approved>  attribute indicates whether the translation has been
approved by a reviewer. The optional translate
<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/documents/xliff-specificatio
n.htm#translate>  attribute indicates whether the <trans-unit> is to be
translated.
---

I I understand it right, the actual transition of the approved attribute
from approved="no" to approved="yes" seems to be reserved for a second
person, who reviews the translation of the translator who makes the
transition from translated="no" to translated="yes". Obviously, if the
translation project is not to be reviewed by a second person, the
translator can directly approve his own translations as a shortcut.

Still I think there must be some way to indicate that it is a fuzzy
match at file generation time from a filter's point if view, and
possibly some logical initial values for the state and state-qualifier
could make sense, even if the editor of choice overrides them
immediately after that.

To summarize:

In the case of a fuzzy in the PO file:
translated="no"
approved="no"
state="needs-translation"
state-qualifier="fuzzy-match"

In the case of a translated item in the PO file:

translated="yes"
approved="no"
state="needs-review-translation"
state-qualifier="exact-match"